Toads are a common cause of poisoning in dogs. The toxin comes from the parotid glands located behind their eyes. Under threat, the toxin is released onto the skin of the toad. This thick, pasty, yellow-white toxin poisons your pet very quickly as it mouths the toad. It is absorbed through the gums and cheeks and is rapidly life threatening.

What are the signs of toad poisoning?

  • Profuse salivation and foaming at the mouth within minutes of exposure.
  • Vomiting.
  • Red and inflamed gums.
  • Restlessness, panting, trembling.
  • Seizure activity.
  • Increased heart rate, arrythmia, heart failure and heart attack.
  • Coma and death.

What do I do in the case my dog is poisoned?

  • Dry the mouth and cheeks with paper towel.
  • Using gently running water rinse your dog’s mouth for 10 minutes. A slow jet of water from a hose or laundry tap is commonly used. Direct the jet forward and not in your dog’s throat. You can use a soft rag to gently rub the gums and teeth as you proceed.
  • Keep your animal cool, calm and quiet.
  • Seek veterinary attention as soon as possible.

If caught early most dogs will survive the incident.

What can I do to prevent toad poisoning?

  • Keep your dog inside or under supervision at night.
  • Control toad population in your area.
  • Dogs can be trained not to attack toads.