-Prescriptions and over-the counter medications may be ok for us, but not for our pets! Acetaminophen (Panadol), Ibuprofen (Nurofen), vitamins, diet pills, anti-depressants and warfarin are common examples of medications that are highly toxic for your pets.
-Pest control bait and poisons such as rat bait or snail bait are highly toxic for our furry friends and contact should be avoided at all times.
-Household and yard trees and plants. Brunfelsia (yesterday, today, tomorrow), cycad seeds, duranta erecta (golden dew drop), stinkhorn mushroom, amanita (death cap), avocado, rhododendron, melia fruit (chinaberry), ricinus (castor oil), macadamia, diffenbachia, oleander, allamanda, brugmansia (angel’s trumpet) and lilies are common examples.
-Food and additives. Chocolate, macadamia nuts, avocado, fatty foods, onions and onion powder, garlic, grapes and raisins, yeast dough, mouldy or spoiled food and xylitol are common examples of food that should be avoided in domestic pets.
-Lawn and garden pesticides and herbicides. Many of those are dangerous for our pets. Read the instructions carefully and respect drying times.
-Household cleaning products and chemicals such as bleach, disinfectant, pot-pourri, deodorant and mothballs are only a few examples of daily cleaning products that can endanger your pet.
Here are a few phone numbers to keep handy in case of emergency:
King Street Veterinary Hospital: (02) 66724322
Animal Emergency Service: (07) 55591599
Poison Centre: 13 11 26
For more on poison information visit: